Commissioning Execution Team Lead
Location : Sultanate of Oman
Start : ASAP
Contract type: Contractor (Site Based Rotation 42/21)
Reports to : Operations Readiness + Commissioning Lead
Main Purpose of the Job:
Lead planning, preparation and execution of Commissioning Execution activities for multiple concurrent small to medium scale projects to ensure proper transition from construction, through pre-commissioning, start up, initial operation and into steady-state operation.
This is an interior-based role performed on a rotational roster with a back-to-back counterpart.
Dimensions / Critical Interfaces:
Direct Opex: none
Direct CAPEX: Shared responsibility for Commissioning budget up to $US10MM.
Manpower: Direct reports – up to 20 Commissioning Engineers, Supervisors and Technicians; Indirect reports – up to 40 Contractor Commissioning Engineers / Supervisors.
1. Manage Commissioning Execution Team member’s deployment, performance and development.
2. Contribute to directorate-wide decision making in relation to the execution of commissioning activities.
3. Liaise with asset operations organisation(s) to ensure alignment on CSU plans and procedures and to secure their direct input / support for related activities.
4. Contribute to the health and ongoing advancement of the [Client] OR and Commissioning Community of Practice.
1. Provide support (input, review and endorsement), especially for Detailed Design phase.
2. Manage commissioning execution activities in accordance with project delivery, HSE and AI-PSM requirements and standards.
3. Actively pursue simplification, standardisation and replication of associated methods and deliverables particularly in relation to ‘typical’ and ‘routine’ project scopes.
4. Incorporate and implement Flawless Project Delivery principles in all projects.
Technology (Systems and Tools):
1. Ensure effective team use of:
- Project Document Management System / Repositories.
- Project Integrated Schedule
- Project Completions Management System (CMS) and ensure timely availability of project database and accurate data entry.
- [Client] Commissioning information repositories, including identification and selection of materials for inclusion as guidance, templates, checklists and best practice examples.
- Telecommunications (e.g. video-conferencing).
The Commissioning Execution Team Lead will have a single primary ‘headquarters’ at an established interior location whilst individual team members may need to be deployed throughout the directorate’s locations depending on where project activities are being conducted. In order to maintain proper management oversight and control of the people and activities, the Commissioning Execution Team Lead will be required to be a) suitably mobile and flexible, and b) utilise a broad range of engagement skills and communication technologies.
Project activity levels will naturally fluctuate and therefore have an effect on Commissioning Execution Team resourcing levels. Considerable use of contractors to supplement commissioning activities will therefore be required and which necessitates thorough but pragmatic planning and decision making.
Historic performance in delivering timely, safe and efficient start up, and sustainable operation, of new or modified assets has not always been without problems. Effective application of the ‘project-to-asset transfer’ process in particular is seen as a key enabler for improvement, but which demands excellence in planning, coordination and interface / stakeholder management.
Desirable Experience / Qualifications:
Diploma level qualification or higher in an Engineering Discipline (Process / Chemical, Mechanical – Static / Rotating, Electrical, Instrumentation / Control and Automation,).
Typically 10 to 12 years oil and gas industry experience including front-line supervisory roles for operations and/or maintenance and/or engineering. Experience in ‘sour’ operations is desirable.
Performed in lead or senior role for Commissioning and Start Up activities in multiple projects, green and brown field developments, through multiple phases (Select, Define, Execute) including:
Contributed or developed the project(s) scope of work for pre-commissioning, commissioning and start-up phases,
Developing, implementing and managing commissioning & start up deliverables (philosophy, strategy and execution plans, procedures, budgets and resources estimation),
Specifying requirements for commissioning contractor support, input to ITT’s and evaluation of bids,
Leading multi-disciplinary pre-commissioning and commissioning & start up activities,
Technical and HSE risk identification and mitigation (including Flawless Project Delivery),
Application of a computerised Completions Management System;
Experienced in implementation and application of Emergency Response plan, Permit to Work system, HSE risk evaluation and assessment, incident investigation.
Experienced technical reviewer and auditor including for Pre Start Up Audit (PSUA) and Operations Readiness Review (ORR) or equivalent.
Experienced and effective technical coach / mentor up to and including SG3.
Effective communicator, written and verbal, with the ability to communicate subject area within multi-disciplined project team.
Job specification issued by
: Nick Johnson
: Project Services Coordinator, for First Commissioning Services
: Cheshire, UK
: +44 1925 438 085
: 13th February 2018
Identity and Contact Details
First Commissioning Services is a global workforce solutions provider to the Petrochemical, Oil and Gas, and Shipbuilding Industries, and is the data controller for the purpose of the General Data Protection Regulation 2016/679 and country specific data protection laws.
First Commissioning Services is fully committed to protecting your privacy. As such, we want to be clear about how your data is collected, and what we use it for.
The aforementioned pages set out the basis on which any personal data we collect from you, or that you provide to us, will be processed by us.
Further information regarding your rights, including the right to withdraw consent, and the right to be forgotten, are included within the aforementioned pages.